Anne Robinson speaks out on leaving Countdown ‘Would I be there if I was 86?’
Countdown: Anne Robinson quizzes Grace Dent on her job
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Anne Robinson made her debut on Countdown last month as the first female host. The 76-year-old, best known for presenting The Weakest Link, replaced Nick Hewer who had fronted the quiz show for almost a decade. Despite admitting she felt nervous about taking over from Nick, Anne appears to have been a hit with viewers. However, in an interview with Express.co.uk and other press, the presenter addressed her future on the show.
Speaking about why she loves the programme, Anne began: “I like the way it has dark and light in it.
“Susie [Dent], doing origins of words and Rachel [Riley] is amazing.
“The contestants are very skilled, and it’s never tried to bow down to what I call shiny floor excitement.”
When asked how long she plans to spend hosting the show, she said: “Somebody said to me ‘Would I be there if I was 86?’”
She continued: “Mary Berry is 86 and she’s still on television.”
Anne, who presented the BBC game show The Weakest Link between 2000 until 2021, is well-known to viewers for her no-nonsense approach and iconic wink.
Despite have a successful career in TV, Anne admitted she was “worried” about filming for the Channel 4 programme.
“I was worried for the first few [shows] you have to start understanding the grammar of the programme and where to go next,” she added.
“But we have some good guests in the first 15 programmes, and I think once I relaxed and got into the rhythm of it, it’s quite enjoyable actually.”
In December 2020, fan-favourite presenter Nick confirmed he would be leaving the Channel 4 programme after almost a decade.
The 77-year-old joined the Countdown team in 2012 after taking over from sports presenter Jeff Stelling.
Discussing why she wanted to take over from Nick, Anne said: “During the start of lockdown I was due to do a long series for Channel 5, on the kings and queens of England, but it got cancelled after the first week.”
Coronation Street’s Gail Platt dies in holiday tragedy? [SPOILER]
GMB in chaos as Susanna and Alastair fail to stop Boris critic attack [VIDEO]
Rachel Riley: Countdown host’s Strictly stint left her needing therapy [INSIGHT]
She explained: “I think it was their most expensive commission and then before that and after that, I had several offers particularly through Channel 4.
“And then suddenly they said, ‘How would you feel about doing Countdown?’ and I thought ‘What a great idea’.”
The Channel 4 presenter said when she was approached to take over from Nick, she didn’t hesitate at all.
“It came out of the blue and totally unexpected,” she said. “I really just fancied the idea.”
She added: “Who did I say to… I can’t remember I think it was David Young, who is a hugely successful, independent producer but has been the executive on the BBC for the first series The Weakest Link.
“And he said, ‘You’d have been bonkers not to take it’.”
At the end of Nick’s final Countdown episode, which aired on Friday, June 25, the host bid an emotional farewell to viewers and his co-stars.
Turning to Susie, he said: “Susie, that was a great final.”
“It certainly was,” she replied. “We love you, Nick and we’re going to miss you.”
Countdown airs weekdays at 2.10pm on Channel 4.
Source: Read Full Article