Chris Harrison, host of the ‘Bachelor’ franchise, exits after racism controversy
Chris Harrison, the longtime host of ABC’s “The Bachelor” and its spinoff series, is exiting the franchise after 19 years following a racism controversy last season.
In an announcement Tuesday, Warner Horizon and ABC Entertainment confirmed he would step aside and thanked Harrison “for his many contributions over the past 20 years.”
“I’ve had a truly incredible run as host of ‘The Bachelor’ franchise and now I’m excited to start a new chapter,” Harrison wrote in an Instagram post. “I’m so grateful to Bachelor Nation for all of the memories we’ve made together. While my two-decade journey is wrapping up, the friendships I’ve made will last a lifetime.”
A Sunday newsletter written by former Hollywood Reporter editor Matt Belloni cited two anonymous sources confirming Harrison, 49, was negotiating his exit. Deadline published a similar anonymous report Tuesday.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Chris Harrison (@chrisbharrison)
Harrison’s name has been synonymous with “The Bachelor” since he has hosted since the show premiere in 2002. He went on to host a variety of other TV events including the Miss America pageant, though he remained best known as the face of the original reality dating show, “The Bachelorette” (which arrived in 2003) and “Bachelor in Paradise.”
This spring during “The Bachelor” (starring Matt James, the franchise’s first Black male lead), contestant Rachael Kirkconnell faced backlash for previously liking Confederate flag-related TikTok videos and attending a plantation-themed party in 2018. Harrison came under fire for defending Kirkconnell, who who later apologized for her “offensive and racist” actions and ultimately won James’ season. The couple broke up before the finale aired but have since reconciled.
Interview: ‘Bachelorette’ star Katie Thurston talks Chris Harrison absence in her ‘unexpected’ new season
'The Bachelor' host Chris Harrison drew controversy for off-camera remarks that led him to temporarily step back from the show. (Photo: Craig Sjodin, ABC)
The host defended Kirkconnell from what he called the “woke police” during a Feb. 9 interview on the syndicated “Extra” series with Rachel Lindsay, the first Black lead on “The Bachelorette.”
“We all need to have a little grace… Because I’ve seen some stuff online, again this judge-jury-executioner thing, where people are just tearing this girl’s life apart,” Harrison said during the interview. “I’m not defending Rachael. I just know that, I don’t know, 50 million people did that in 2018. That was a type of party that a lot of people went to.”
He continued: “The woke police is out there. And this poor girl Rachael, who has just been thrown to the lions. I don’t know how you are equipped when you have never done this before, to be woke enough, to be eloquent enough, to be ready to handle this.”
Harrison apologized to Lindsay, admitted in March he “made a mistake” and said would be “stepping aside for a period of time” but added he had no plans to resign.
“I plan to be back and I want to be back,” Harrison told “Good Morning America” on March 4 in his first interview following the scandal. “This interview is not the finish line. There is much more work to be done, and I am excited to be part of that change.”
He was subsequently replaced for “The Bachelor”s “After the Final Rose” special in March by author, TV host and former NFL player Emmannuel Acho; and for the next season of “The Bachelorette” in June by former stars Tayshia Adams and Kaitlyn Bristowe.
In his more than 50 seasons hosting “The Bachelor” and its offshoots, Harrison served as a confidant to stars and contestants, as well as a narrator and guide for viewers. He was also the officiant at several televised “Bachelor” franchise weddings.
Contributing: Cydney Henderson
Premiere recap: Who was inside the box? Katie unpacks 30 contestants, sends 7 home
Source: Read Full Article