Susanna Reid responds to Ofcom ruling in favour of Piers Morgan over Meghan

Daily Star TV gives you all the latest interviews and spoilers and Ed Gleave will send you telly’s hot takes straight to your inbox every Sunday

Susanna Reid has responded to the news that Ofcom has ruled in favour of Piers Morgan, after he received more than 50,000 complaints for his comments about Meghan Markle.

Susanna retweeted the ruling to her 829k Twitter followers.

It was revealed earlier today that Ofcom will not be taking any action against former GMB host Piers, who is now asking for his job back.

He wrote:" I’m delighted OFCOM has endorsed my right to disbelieve the Duke & Duchess of Sussex’s incendiary claims to Oprah Winfrey, many of which have proven to be untrue."

Piers also used his favourite nickname for Meghan: "This is a resounding victory for free speech and a resounding defeat for Princess Pinocchios."

"Do I get my job back?"

Susanna also shared ITV News editor Chris Ship's comments about the ruling.

He tweeted: "It was right said Ofcom for GMB to hold the debate "featuring presenters such as Mr Morgan scrutinising those allegations including the veracity, timing, and possible motives of the claims" by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex."

"Broadcasters "can portray strong views on the matter" he added.

Susanna retweeted another where Chris said: "Ofcom's report found that Piers Morgan's "disbelief of the Duchess of Sussex's account of her suicidal thoughts" did have "the potential to cause harm and offence to viewers" of GMB but that Morgan was suitably challenged during the show."

It was also noted that Susanna and Chris both challenging Piers throughout the show was taken into consideration.

Another tweet by Chris that Susanna shared said: "The report says " "had it not been for the extensive challenge offered throughout the Programme by Susanna and Chris we would have seriously concerned" and overall "adequate protection for viewers was provided". "On balance, the Programme was not in breach".

Ofcom received more than 50,000 complaints after he questioned the truth of Meghan's remarks during her bombshell Oprah interview.

Piers shared the news of the decision on Twitter: "Ofcom rejects all complaints against me over Meghan Markle furore that led to my exit from GMB."

"Verdict says I was entitled to disbelieve her & Prince Harry & to restrict my right to do so would be a ‘chilling restriction on freedom of expression."

Susanna had previously tweeted saying "See you all tomorrow!" to mark her return from holiday, which Piers shared saying "Sorry… can't make it."

For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

  • Good Morning Britain
  • Piers Morgan
  • Susanna Reid

Source: Read Full Article